Friday, January 04, 2008

Collectibles



I'm working on some pieces along the theme of collectibles (my favourite ebay sub-category). You may have noticed from my blog and pictures that - like many of you - I have a big thing for mid-century coffee pots, teacups and the like, and I have a growing collection.



I drew a few of my jugs and coffee pots freehand just to get an idea of the shapes. I was then going to draw them in more detail but after looking at them for a while I really liked the na├»ve, simple quality of the lines and the honesty of the forms. Then, all the embellishment/decoration can come from the background wallpapers and it doesn’t intrude of the shape of the object.




Inspiration for the background came again from Susy Jack when I scanned in my scrapper's batch to use as at a later date. I really liked how all the patterns laid next to each other created their own wallpaper, so I decided to make some with my own papers; a mix of my own patterns, found papers and scraps. My tights may also make an appearance somewhere.





I think I'm going to make some wood pieces and a print or two.

Two links for you: Janne's Christmas cards which I think are just beautiful and more special than just sending a photo of your family.

And this great 'make your own snowflake' link from Sissi Minanaa (I always spell that about 3 times before I get it right!).

4 comments:

  1. I also like the simplicity of your coffee pots and jugs. I especially LOVE the duck egg blue paper with the white snowflakes. I'd love a wall in our living room covered with that design if it were ever to be a wallpaper.
    Thank you for the Suzy Jacks link. Have just snapped up a bag of scraps to use in a craft project someday that I have yet to decide upon!!
    Happy New Year Fran!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh boy, looks like you and I are on the same track again... I'll start posting what I've been up to soon, and you'll see what I mean!
    These are beautiful, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so clever! I love seeing your experiments and process. very inspiring, lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My best friend gave me one of your pieces for xmas ( i am a bit late!!) and i wanted to tell you how gorgeous your work is-
    :) thank-you!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!