Thursday, February 21, 2008

Save our post office!




My wonderful post office is under threat of closure. It's so sad, and not just because I'm in there almost every day posting A4 hardback envelopes all around the world.
It's a real community post office with a village shop feel. The people are lovely and I don't know if they will survive as just a newsagent.


I am definitely becoming more involved in my community as I trudge through my thirties...is it an age thing? And I love a good David & Goliath battle, I have even signed the petition.


The above photo, you may have guessed, was not taken yesterday, it looks turn of the century to me. I love old photos of my neighbourhood, working out what's still standing. Apart from the shop awnings, and the horse drawn carriages (!), this street still looks like this.

5 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. They're closing one very close to me too. I signed a petition too, as did lots of others, but it did little good as its being closed next month. Its so sad to see half empty shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when I read about another historic place shutting down. We are about to lose our little theatre in town. So sad, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read the article, and see from the list that 'my' local PO (when I lived in London years ago) is also on there. It's very sad. I hope that at least some of them can be saved.

    Same thing happened to my local PO here in Cape Town...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, it'd be such a shame if they closed it down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooghhhhhh nnooooooooo, any news about your post office? I am obsessed by post offices and red postal vans and post men, I think mine thinks I'm mad!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!