Sunday, August 10, 2008

Random Monday things



I feel like I've been away for about a month! So, as promised here's a bit more about my little exhibition at Cabbages & Kings in Stoke Newington. I'll be showing 3 of my Milk Bottles collage pieces, 3 Collectibles and 3 How To Grow. I think they'll be up for about a month. The preview evening is this Thursday from 6 - 8.30, I'll be there from about 7. Please come along if you can, Jessica is always interested in meeting new artists and designers and as I've said before, it's the sweetest little shop. More info here.


* * * * *




Last night I started watching Helvetica, which I've been waiting for from lovefilm.com for ages. If you are at all nerdy about type (of course you are) I can highly recommend it. It's beautifully put together and it's totally absorbing. I love how passionately and articulately the designers talk about type. It's also really funny. Two designers, Jonathan Hoefler & Tobias Frere-Jones communicate really brilliantly about design and pop culture when they are collaborating on a design. My favourite quote is:


"This has that, like, Saturn 5 rocket, early NASA quality. It needs to have that orange plastic, Olivetti typewriter, Roman Holiday, espresso feeling."


* * * * *



My sister-in-law Tessa was telling me about her friend Dixie Nichols who sells her father's handmade glass buttons from her website.
Her father Lionel was completely self-taught and he made the buttons for the Couture houses in the 1950s. When he died, he left boxes and boxes of buttons with Dixie. There's a little history here and an interview with Dixie here. She sells them individually or in sets.

5 comments:

  1. good to have you back. lovely buttons - did he have that gorgeous buttonshop in marylebone lane?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know, i think i saw something about marylebone somewhere in the interview or history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your wonderful blog! Nice one there.... Will be checking back regularly from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gracious--- you are just so creative, my dear.

    I miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heveltica was brilliant! So geeky but totally fascinating :) I've found myself talking about it in detail to anyone who'll listen...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!