Monday, August 10, 2009

Drawers




I saw this designer-maker in the Guardian Magazine this Saturday in an article about starting a business after you've lost your job in the recession. Two things struck me - firstly, that I can't wait to get back in the game and that I'm going to use this time off to re-evaluate my work and business. And secondly - I LOVE DRAWERS SO MUCH!




Franziska Wodicka collects discarded drawers and turns them into pieces of furniture, large and small. Now people leave drawers outside her shop for her and she has hundreds in storage. Much like keys, drawers have stories and many lives. Some of these also remind me of Piet Hein Eek who I love. (I must stop repeating myself!)



All images are from the shop: Schubladen.de

14 comments:

  1. BlueberryShake8/10/2009 10:33 AM

    These are great! I want some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great. I wish I could do carpentry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I nearly wet myself when I read that article too! The photo of Franziska in front of her collection of "over 800 in stock" drawers, I must say I had more than a little envy in me....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bloody brilliant!!!! I love it!
    Have a lovely day,
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is so amazing - I love it! Thanks for sharing this :) K

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't wait to see what need ideas you come up with Fran, I know what ever they are they will be gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the different colours of the top ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i saw this lady too, what a great business!..

    you'll be back in the game bigger and better, remember all those creative ideas you had flowing, there are all still there!
    soon it will be ready, steady...go! x.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister was telling me about this article yesterday and the photo of her surrounded by all the drawers. So cool that people just leave them for her outside her workshop. Such a cool, unusual idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forgot to say - thanks for the kind words after my rant. With the house move I think you win. Good luck xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Piet Hein Eek, everyone from the Conran shop to Habitat were ripping him off/inspired by him for their catalogues.

    Really enjoying your blog - what a gorgeous little bambino!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such cleverness... magnificent cleverness.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!