Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Things I Like / Bagpuss

I'm working on a couple of new prints that have been on my list for a while - Things I Like for a boy and a girl. I'm trying not to make them too sexist (!) but I think it's fair to say that boys generally like fire engines more than girls, and girls generally like strawberry hair clips more than boys. I've also noticed from my little boy's best friend Belle, that girls like to keep precious little things in bags like rings and teeny tiny dolls.



On Saturday I escaped for an hour, sat in a cafe and scratched out a few ideas. So far I've got some classic toys, mixed with vintage bits and bobs but not too retro-inspired - I want them to still be realistic, so needless to say tiddlywinks has not made the cut. But there is a definite Bagpuss feel about the 'things' (30+ UK readers will hopefully know what I mean.) I love all those random bits and bobs that end up in Emily's shop window like the ship in the bottle and the ballet shoe.

Anyway, here is some Bagpuss for you, it seems sooooo slow now compared to what our children watch these days but my little boy loves it, amazingly.







I'll keep you posted on how the prints turn out.

11 comments:

  1. aaahhhh bagpuss. can't wait to see the finished products
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a sweet project. i love Bagpuss, more than Iris probably, although she's crazy about the song Mr Feedle, (you can buy it on itunes), ah, it's so sweet and gentle. much nicer than children's tv these days. ha! listen to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam is going through a Hello Kitty and pink phase. Note the word phase...although I actually quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. big Bagpuss fan here........it's so true, how girls like to keep things in little bags. Bigger girls too, I still tend to keep things in tins, boxes and jars and my daughters still hoard little bits and bobs altho' they are now 12 and 14:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing what wonderful prints you dream up.

    I'm not sure how you fit blog posts in with your bambinos! Well done you. My little 'wriggler' (as we call her), is a delightful distraction. But really I feel the pull of the world now that she's older ... I like the idea of Saturday escapes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks sarah. keeping up with my blog was the only way i knew i was going to be able to stay creative and in the loop, just a little bit at a time. i recommend a saturday escape! just an hour in a cafe with a sketchbook. it's a good start. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks like the start of a lovely idea, can't wait to see what items you choose. my nieces are always carrying little bags with shiny & sparkly goods in the them...x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how fabulous! Loved watching Bagpuss :)
    Your sketches look gorgeous. Can't wait to see what you decide upon :) K

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new prints - and what better inspiration than Bagpuss! I had pretty much forgotten about that show - a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your new prints - and what better inspiration than Bagpuss! I had pretty much forgotten about that show - a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your new prints - and what better inspiration than Bagpuss! I had pretty much forgotten about that show - a gem.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!