Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Please Give

I saw Please Give last night, which was right up my street. It's written and directed by Nicole Holofcener, one of my faves and starred one of my very very faves Catherine Keener. There's just something about her.
In the film, she owns a shop selling mid-century modern furniture, which she acquires for a pittance 'from the children of dead people'. After a while she starts to feel guilty and wonder what her life is worth. I immediately felt guilty myself and decided not to buy a lovely 1960s vase I had my eye on from etsy!



I would recommend Walking & Talking, I think her first film and still my favourite.

11 comments:

  1. This is the beauty of living where you do. Our cinema wouldn't show this and I would LOVE to see it. I'll have to keep skipping in the fields til it comes out on DVD
    FFS
    {*}

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i REALLY want to see that
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a really good film, I love small alternative films, will have to look this one out, thanks! PS love the horse design in your previous post, those colours and block patterns are really unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Should I really be seeing this film...? I love Keener too, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i thought of you many times actually janne! don't worry, you don't get your m-c m from the children of dead people...or do you?! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. God I'm slow tonight. M-c m. Got you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. m-c m? I don't know. What is it? I can only guess you're referring to my collection of 'stuff'. But if I did (get it from the children of dead people), would it help my karma if I gave some of it to you, perhaps..?

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes janne, please give! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so funny Francesca! I always come out of movies feeling like one of the characters too ;) Thanks for the recommendation - always on the look-out for good cinema. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  10. p.s. i love weheartit so much! thanks again for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'd like to see that film. although i am more than well aware that i buy a lot of dead people's stuff. ha ha! but you can't take it with you, can you?!

    also, i know what you mean about not feeling bloggy, i feel the same way, it IS a summer thing and that's quite alright by me (slightly guilty feelings aside).

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!