Friday, November 19, 2010

WIP Fresh & Juicy


Been working on a new print, which will hopefully be tea towels and tote bags too. It's one of those things I've had in my head for ages. I first scrawled a sketch on the Observer weekend magazine thinking it was safe in Ben's hoarding pile, but it promptly got recycled, so I had to start again (must get a new sketchbook).



The Elephant & The Bad Baby
by Elfrida Vipont & Raymond Briggs



I've always loved walking by the greengrocer, all those bright colours and round shapes, this illustration always springs to mind. I swear that grocers actually still looked like that when I was a child, shopping with my mum on Church Street market. Those moustaches and flat caps. Ahh, the seventies.




Been enjoying looking at all the logos too. Not sure this one will feature but it's so instantly recognisable.






Anyway, I will hopefully be able to show you the finished print next week and get tea towels and totes in production soon. Have a lovely weekend all. x

9 comments:

  1. What a super idea. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha - love the 'spivvy' greengrocer! Great idea - look forward to see it come to fruition (geddit?!)
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Looking forward to seeing your new work. My husband, Dan used to work on a fruit and veg stall at Walthamstow market in his teens...proper East-End geezer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's so lovely fran and that melinda logo reminds me so much of my time in bologna with....melinda!
    and the market stalls at church street are still the same by the way!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see works in progress and the inspiration behind.

    Rumpeta rumpeta rumpeta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always loved those fruit stalls too - vivid colours and individual fruits in tissue paper pieces unfurled and displayed like a precious gift :) Your drawing is just fantastic Francesca - really love it. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  7. its wonderful to see where inspirations comes from, the finished product is going to gorgeous, can't wait to see it.
    i love that book, the illustrations are so good and i think i still know off by heart! x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks and sounds great! I can't wait to see totes and tea towels :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Elephant and the Bad Baby was a favourite book growing up. Which probably explains a lot..

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!