Monday, February 27, 2012

A favour and a minor rant

LINKwithlove


I love pinterest, I love finding my things there and really appreciate people pinning my work, but I'm a stickler for crediting the artist. If I want to repin an artwork or a design that doesn't credit the artist, even if it links straight back to their site or shop, I always add the artist in my description. I know that part of the fun of pinterest is the speed you can pin, but it only takes a few seconds to follow a couple of links back to find the original source, and then add a credit.
I know that sometimes it's impossible to find the original source (especially with interior design images, but I'm talking mainly about work that could be copied or replicated), and in those cases I don't repin. I know I don't want works of mine floating around on pinterest without a credit and I imagine others don't either. Sometimes I find students' work on there, with no credit and I think it's really important to credit students as they're really vulnerable to getting ripped off. It's a risk putting your work out there.

So can I ask a favour please? If you pin anything from my blog or shop, please just add my name or mrs eliot books in the description. Or if you repin a work of mine and notice it doesn't have a credit, please add one. Otherwise it gets lost, like chinese whispers.

link with love is on a mission but I want to go even further and credit with love.

Mini-rant-in-an-english-way over. Ta. x


14 comments:

  1. Well said! I'm trying hard to follow your lead, alas a few pins slip through the net if I'm pinning from my ipod. Will try harder though, it's very important. It's also important to link from the actual blog post, rather than the blog as a whole, otherwise nobody will ever find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ta flo. yes exactly - i've followed a pin to a blog and scrolled and scrolled and never found the original post. i know pins slip through the net, with me too, certainly when i first started. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will go and check my boards as I think I have some of you lovely work there x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will do. I know I am guilty of that. I will go back and credit your work that I have pinned on my boards. Thanks for letting us know. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are both very sweet for letting me know. i don't want to be a pain about it! (sounding english and apologetic again) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a pain at all. Damn right you are. I always try to include the name of the artist in the description since I've noticed that this is what the pinterest search picks up on. But will be even more mindful of linking with love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or should that say mindful about? My English is not what it used to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are totally right about this and i know i'm guilty of not crediting work/blogs. I'm going to be busy editing my pins tonight and tomorrow! BTW have just read this article and thought i'd pass it on http://ddkportraits.com/2012/02/why-i-tearfully-deleted-my-pinterest-inspiration-boards/

    Some very interesting info and comments on there. Also bit scary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Link with Love is a great idea! Very impressed and totally agree - attribution must happen. Good post Fran :) Kx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right! I always try to give credits and add the artist's name in the description. This is such an important subject....spread the word (and credit with love)! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. well done! You are totally right about this and i know i'm guilty of not crediting work/blogs. I'm going to be busy editing my pins tonight and tomorrow!thank you for sharing article! I will continue noticing your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good point. I need to think about my pinning. I try to pin from the original source, but sometimes pin from blogs (that have a link to the source) because I want to credit the blogger for finding the pin too, rather than writing 'via' in the description. I've found some great new blogs by other people pinning that way.

    I've deliberately been keeping my descriptions very brief, as I struggle NOT to read words. On Pinterest I want to look at the images; being thumbnail size, long descriptions overwhelm them, and I find myself reading and missing the images, scrolling through boards and not finding anything. But the fact that Pinterest searches use the description... That said, I've never used the search function.

    I wonder if other people are similarly afflicted with the Can't Not Read problem?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said and a great idea, will need to go through my boards and check what I've done so far,I'm sure there are some that will have slipped through the net! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ladies,

    Get the word out. A photographer friend of mine has hundreds of works that are registered with the US Copyright office. He boasts that the courts will easily award him up to $150,000 per image on Pinterest. He has hired lawyers and they will strike within a few weeks. He's already planning his retirement as a millionaire.

    He specializes in infant and toddler fashion and craft photographs. Crochet hats, knitted booties, baby blankets, baby toys and products... ladies' fashion crafts too... hats, scarves, sweaters... embroidery... he's been working for magazines for years... also books... Kaffe Fassett stuff...

    Hurry up and protect yourself, at least remove the baby fashion pictures, that's 80% of his trade.

    PLEASE REPOST!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!