Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sister Corita Kent





Do you know Sister Corita Kent? I only happened upon her a few months ago but now she is secured firmly in my 'big box of inspiring women artists' along with Lucienne Day and Rosalie Gascoigne.
Sister Corita was a Catholic nun who also ran the art department (which included screen printing and typography) at the Immaculate Heart College in Los Angeles. In the 60s and 70s she won acclaim for her silkscreen prints. Her work was challenging and often subversive, which reflected her interest in peace and social justice.
This lovely film clip is from the 2009 film Become a Microscope directed by Aaron Rose.

I can see Eames, Rand, and Saul Bass in her work, as well as Basquiat. But it is also very much her own.


Still Falls the Rain

In

Understanding

To Leave to Love

If you want more than my very potted history, you can find out about Sister Corita here.

Images from the print shop at the Corita Art Centre.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this Fran, I came across her via Pinterest a little while ago and was intrigued and inspired, but haven't had time to research her further - will be following your link to find out more. Have a great day, hope your exhibition goes well - wish I was local and could pop in! Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great, always so pleased when artists i blog about get a good response. wish i could pick up all my blog friends and transport them to crouch end for the night! x

      Delete
  2. That's so cool, I hadn't heard of her. Her classes sound brilliant, she must have been a really inspiring tutor! Love the video too. Congratulations on your exhibition too, how exciting! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know, i want her to be my teacher! x

      Delete
  3. I see what you mean now! I have been lusting after these mugs for a little while...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wonder if that's where i first saw her, your pinterest. you do have the best pinterest ever! x

      Delete
    2. Oh fanks. I watched the video earlier - it's wonderful, the music was in my head all afternoon. Must try and see the whole thing.

      Delete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!