Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Notes on Mr Smiley

What did I do before this? :-) The smiley face.

I have to tell you something, when I first started using email in about 1997, I had no idea what emoticons were and totally misread someone's jokey comment as a serious comment followed by some very misused punctuation. What the hell is that? ;-) I thought.
Well, suffice it to say it didn't end well. And later when I noticed other people doing the old winky face, and I realised what it was, I was mortified.

It took me a long time to bring myself to use Mr Winky, Mr Smiley and Mr Sad. But since then, I have become completely dependent on them. So much so that if I try not to use them, my email seems ever so serious and I can't be sure I've got my point across properly. But when I do use them, I feel like I'm about 12 years old. Mr Smiley takes place of the over excited ! don't you think? I was leaving a note for someone the other day and I almost wrote :-) with pencil on paper. Most unnecessary!

I like how these smileys, arranged just so, make a whole face. 



Did you know these emoticons were first published in 1881 by the US satirical magazine Puck? So says wikipedia :-)



11 comments:

  1. i have just giggled my way through your post, thank you xx :) !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm glad to hear that natalie :-) :-) :-)

      Delete
  2. Hehe, that's funny! Like you, I refused to use them and probably only in the last year have I embraced the emotions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your punctuation lady. My friend did something very similar when her then (new!) boss sent her an email with an emoticon in... asked him what the heck was up with his bizarre punctuation and corrected it for him(she was a bit 'bold')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds like something my sister would do! she's a little bit obsessed with correct punctuation :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh how funny! and yes I went through EXACTLY the same process :) I cannot leave a comment anymore without them (obviously) and yes again for the same reason.
    I have crossed the boundary with writing them, though - I'm totally cool with that and do it just as often... in fact I wish I could do them when speaking too because I rely on them so much now to show when something I say is tongue in cheek or whatever... actually putting your tongue in your cheek doesn't seem to work in conversations, have you noticed? :))
    I think it has come at a cost, at least for me... because I work from home and 'don't get out' as much these days, I have found it increasingly difficult to communicate effectively in person without ten thousand extra words to say what I mean. It's very tedious :(
    Love this post :)))))
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, when you're talking face to face with someone you should also just say "smiley face" now and again. e.g. "love your dress, smiley face".
      ;-)

      Delete
  5. Yes! That's me! Also I massively overuse exclamtion marks and xxx's these days too. My twitter feed looked like an overexcited 8 year old's the other day. I'm envious of people who do without and still seem perfectly nice. I keep trying to give them up, but it's like sugar in your tea - once you start you can't stop :)

    I hate it when Wordpress (or is it Typepad) converts them into an actual big yellow smiley. That's very wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I know, Facebook does that too. I wanted a nice classy typeface smiley, not a big brash show-off mr smiley-pants!

      Delete
  6. I have a friend who uses smileys on hand-written notes. It's quite disconcerting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see! People do it! Somebody stop me! X

      Delete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!