Monday, July 15, 2013

Inspiring women - Elaine Lustig

Goodness, I know I've been away a while. Partly the sun, partly a lack of blogging inspiration. But let's not dwell...it's definitely not because I have spent two weeks looking at the amazingly well put together website The Obsessionistas. Promise. It's a beautiful blog, showcasing people's collections, from the covetable (Stig Lindberg, Scandinavian glass) to the quirky (pencils, do not disturb, bricks).

There I discovered the work of Alvin and Elaine Lustig and was particularly intrigued by Elaine's story. Alvin Lustig was running his own design studio producing book covers and typefaces, when he died at the age of 40. Elaine, his wife, was thrown into the deep end and continued his work, despite having no formal training as a designer.

I find women in design partnerships so intriguing. I'm thinking of Ray Eames, Lucienne Day. If I was choosing my dissertation subject again now, it would be that.

More on Elaine and her work here.














2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the incompatability of blogging and summer. These images are lovely though, I recognise the name but didn't know the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Super exciting. These are wonderful finds Fran - thank you for sharing them :) Kx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!