Monday, September 30, 2013

Marimekko : The Weather Diary



Love this film by Ezra Gould showcasing the new Marimekko Weather Diary collection, designed by Aino-Maija Metsola. 



Aino-Maija says:

Before I started working on the patterns, we got together with Marimekko’s design team members to discuss what we were interested in. It became apparent that we were all fascinated by rain, wind, fog, light and the effect of weather on us.  
I approached the theme by focusing on things I know. I live on an island, which means that many of the ideas behind the patterns in the Sääpäiväkirja collection came to me while jogging along the shoreline in the evening or walking with my dog. Some of the ideas are also based on my memories of sailing trips in the Finnish archipelago.
I feel that weather phenomena seem to be more powerful and interesting in the vicinity of the sea. Especially in the autumn.


Reminds me so much of the inspiration Bjork gets from nature and the weather in Iceland. There's something magical going on up there!

Have a look at the website for a gallery of how her paintings became the collection. And here is the interview with the designer.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh that video is beautiful. I have the urge to get outside with my camera and photograph the light, the wind and the rain. And I want that teapot in my life - now. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your world and then I think these things can please you,
    this guy makes huge candles filled with sea and waves, it's beautiful!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ToddBorka

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!