Wednesday, November 20, 2013

My winter survival kit for desk dwellers

It's so cold, and it's only November. It's commonly known around these parts that I am generally some kind of reptile, so cold is my blood. My circulation is not great and I suffer a little from Raynaud's syndrome so my fingertips go a bit white and achy.  

Just sitting at my desk today I have 5 layers, plus scarf and my new fingerless gloves from etsy. Took me a bit of research to find these, there are lots of wrist warmers but I needed at least a bit of finger and thumb coverage. These are from London based Happy Laika, a Russian collective :-)



Our winter heating bill (like most of yours I imagine) goes through the roof, partly to us living in a draughty Edwardian house and partly because I am home most days, sitting at my desk. I try to keep the heating off as long as possible which requires many accoutrements. Here's my winter survival kit for desk dwellers.


I find porridge for elevenses can warm my whole body up for a couple of hours, and cocoa works much better than tea. I've taken to popping Isi's hot water bottle on my lap, underneath Uncle Isi's blanket. (In case you're wondering, Isi was named after Uncle Isi. While he was alive, they were known as big Isi and little Isi:-)
I can also recommend these ultra light down gilets from Uniqlo. Not particularly attractive but they work really well, and that is the point. Any other tips greatly appreciated!



Jen has a nice board on Pinterest that actually makes winter look nice.

17 comments:

  1. Oh thank you, it's not just me! I, like you, am always cold and get the weirdest looks from family/friends when they come round and see me often sporting a scarf, fingerless gloves and hat. Personally the hat works wonders even if it does look a little strange indoors! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i sometimes resort to a hat indoors rebecca. it's a winter necessity. i can't believe i'm married to someone who swims in the outdoors all through the winter. we must be different species! x

      Delete
  2. I love everything about this post, and having spent a day at the computer today, I totally get it. It gets blardy freezing, especially the ole' mouse hand.

    I have a little fan heater in my workshop that I put on for a bit, usually until my eyeballs start to dry out, then leave it off for a bit. Not sure how much it costs to run, but I only have it on low, and for short bursts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, the poor mouse hand! maybe i should bring the old portable radiator out of the cellar. god knows where it is. i shall send my cellar man ben to go and have a rummage! x

      Delete
  3. It's not just me then. Fingerless gloves, thermals, 2 scarves and 2 hot water bottles (one at the feet, one on the lap). I was thinking Slanket next, well if it's good enough for Liz Lemon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anyhing liz lemon does is good enough for me :-)

      Delete
  4. I would swap with you any day! We are sweltering here! We really must organise that house-swap, Fran, and now we know when to do it too ;) I do have one suggestion (another very un-glamorous option)... Ugg boots. I finally succumbed this winter to getting a pair and lived in them while at home. Cannot bring myself to wearing them in public (considered very 'bogan' here) but they are amazing. Stay warm :) Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it funny how ugg boots are an aussie invention and considered v naff, yet over here they are all the rage. well, maybe only among the bogans ;-) i dont think i could bring myself to wear them even in the house, just in case the postman saw me. so i salute you! x

      Delete
  5. Just read the other comments, and I agree with Rebecca: a hat or beanie makes all the difference too. I remember my grandmother telling me you stop the cold getting in with good footwear and stop the heat getting out with good headgear! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i do put a beanie on if i have to kylie. i'm never without a hat outside october - april! x

      Delete
  6. ha, love it! I have been freezing all day today. I too put fingerless gloves on today… ridiculous! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely illustrations.
    I too used to sit in gloves, scarf and hat, then a couple of winters ago I got a portable radiator (it has a thermostat so turns off once the room is warm) and now my room is cosy without wasting heating the whole flat. It's bad enough being freezing outside, I didn't like it while I was working too! x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have all that as I type! I need to be warm otherwise I can't get creative in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A candle or two is nice I find. Some cheap night lights from Ikea can warm up a small room a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also do the 2 hot water bottles, one on lap one under feet. The thing I hate most is how long it takes to get undressed at the end of the day as you peel off layer, after layer, after layer- my worst day so far has been 6 separate layers. Lighting a candle is cheery and genuinely does warm the room... brrr in solidarity

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the same. Fingerless gloves, sheepskin slippers, lots of hot drinks. Really annoying though isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Handknitted socks, a complete necessity. Also a cat on your lap reduces the need to have 2 hot water bottles. And don't hate me for saying this but a run at lunchtime followed by a hot shower really helps to keep the circulation going...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!